Stay on top of all the trends and challenges facing your business today - including legal advice, ways to maximize profits, how to build a winning team, and much more. Industry-leading experts provide gold-standard education content that's practical and relevant to YOU!
October 2018 Edition
An Ode to Pumpkin
by Mareya Ibrahim, Fit Foodie, Author, and Entrepreneur
Oh, pumpkin. How obsessed I get with you this time of the year! I love you in coffee and tea, muffins and pie, bars and pancakes, risotto and soup - and for your healthy little seeds, too. I just can't get enough. And the best part is, you're good for me!
You're rich in fiber.
You're low in calories.
You're super hyrdating.
You're full of antioxidants like vitamin A and beta-carotene.
You help boost my immunity with your vitamin C packed-power.
You help make my skin look good.
You help me fight disease.
You help regulate my blood sugar.
You help me feel fuller longer.
You taste amazing in so many different ways, especially with cinnamon!
You make it easy to love you, because you're yummy!
A Pumpkin Primer
- Clean the outside offresh. whole pumpkins with Eat Cleaner Fruit + Vegetable Wash. The minute you cut through, you could be contaminating the inside of the skin isn't washed properly.
- Sugar pumpkins, Cinderella pumpkins and Winter Luxury pumpkins make for some of the best flesh to use in all of these pumpkin recipes.
- Spoon out all the seeds and pulp and hold onto the seeds for roasting.
- Cut pumpkin into quarter and place on a baking sheet, skin side down, and roast for about 45 minutes, or until fork tender.
- If using pre-packaged pumpkin, opt for pure pumpkin puree vs. pumpkin pie filling which is pre-seasoned and often has sugar added.
- If you can find it, opt for the aseptic pumpkin - it tastes great! Second best choice is canned that is BPA free.
- Spices that go well with pumpkin include nutmeg, cinnamon, vanilla, clove, curry, smoked paprika, cumin and sage.
- You can stock up on pureed pumpkin all year round to add to your favorite sweet and savory recipes - it's not just for fall!
You can download the Fit Foodie's 8 Great Clean Pumpkin Recipes here!
April 2018 Business Builder - Dana Angelo White, MS, RD, ATC, President of Dana White Nutrition, Inc.
March 2018 Business Builder - Marlisa Brown, MS, RD, CDE, CDN
February 2018 Business Builder - TJ Grisel of MenuTrinfo, LLC
January 2018 Business Builder - Dale Willerton, CEO of The Lease Coach
January 2018 Business Builder - Michael Oshman, Founder of Green Restauarnt Association